Thursday, September 18, 2008

To the pool!

This morning I woke up and decided I wanted to go swimming. This is nothing out of the norm for most triathletes, but for me, it has been 4.5 weeks since I've last swam. (not including my attempt to swim, or rather stay afloat only 10 days post-crash). I knew I had packed my swim suit and goggles somewhere in my luggage so once I dug them out, I searched for some pool lap swims. UNB had open swim at noon. Perfect. As I strolled out on deck I was faced with a dilemma: which lane? The choices were the usual easy, medium and fast lanes. There was too much pool noodle usage and side stroke action in the easy lane and there was no way I was going near the fast lane, so medium it was. I grabbed a set of fins as I was not exactly sure if I would be able to use my left arm at all, so I would need some propulsion to get through this. Unlike my last attempt at swimming, I was successful in putting on the swim cap. There was only minor mullet action sprouting out the back but I quickly hopped in before I drew any attention. There wasn't even time to put the fins on. Oh well. I start with single arm. It felt bizarre. Not swimming for over a month already feels weird enough, but add in the single arm factor and I swear I looked like I was doing the funky chicken. I had to put my ego aside and just focus on what I could do. Within a few lengths I was able to work up the courage to try a proper stroke and I was surprised I was able to do it! There was zero pressure on the water, but I was swimming and it didn't hurt. I even passed someone! YES! (of course that was the highlight of the swim...nevermind the fact that my fracture has healed enough to even let me swim) I forced myself to get out of the pool after a few hundred meters, careful not to overdo it on day 1. 

No comments: