Friday, November 28, 2008

7 Years Later...




....I finally try rollers. 

Thanks to Simon's gentle persuasion, I bought a set tonight and hopped on before I had the chance to get nervous and chicken out. Yes, I am a little embarrassed to admit that since starting the sport years ago, I have never tried rollers, always opting for the trainer. 

I was actually really excited to pick them up, feeling as though I had this great new toy. They were immediately taken out of the box once I got home and I was ready to ride. I was VERY shaky at first and wouldn't let go of the couch (or the countertop....or both...) for quite some time. It also didn't help that I FLATTED while on there! (I think it's time to get new trainer tires!) Once I worked up the courage to let go, I was surprised how quickly I got the hang of it. Within a few minutes the TV was on and I was more or less comfortable. 

I am trying to post a funny video of some screaming and laughing, but I'm relatively new to blogger and I can't quite figure it out just yet...

6 comments:

queenstri said...

Hi Lauren, I've got a trainer but never used rollers. What's the difference?

Anonymous said...

On a roller you're bike is not attached to a fixed object (i.e. the trainer) so you must rely on your bike handling skills much more than you would on a trainer because the bike can sway from side to side. In this way, being on a roller simulates what is is like to ride on the road.

Anonymous said...

edit- "you're" for "your" in first sentence.

Lauren said...

Thanks, anonymous, for answering the question!
From what I understand, rollers are also great for creating an efficient pedal stroke, as well as improving your balance by engaging all your little stabilizing muscles (core) while riding.
I won't do all my indoor rides on the rollers, just recovery or easier rides. I will stick to the trainer for the efforts.

Jill Costantino said...

Wow - good for you for conquering your fear....I too just conquered my fear and used my clip pedals outside. It wasn't so bad either.
Cheers!

Andrea Ford said...

Good for you Lauren! I find that when I step out of my comfort zone, I usually make great improvements. No doubt this was a good move for you!