Monday, March 2, 2009

Back in the Kitchen!

So, I know I am starting to feel rested when I start Googling recipes. Ever since we were spoiled at the Maui camp with Chef Jordan's nightly meals, I haven't been able to muster up the energy or enthusiasm to put together anything overly tasty or creative. My diet has been incredibly simple, repeating the same breakfasts and snack-type meals everyday: toast with almond butter & hemp hearts (brekkie #1), Vega smoothie (post-swim), eggs of some sort (brekkie #2), and then random snacks (muffins, bars, fruit, yogurt, nuts) until dinnertime (which is very simple, take-out, or a Wendy creation). Anyway, these last few days I have broken through the monotony. This rest has been just enough to get the cookbooks out, the apron on and the creative juices flowing again. 

I recently came across this great website:


I don't stick to a gluten-free diet, but I do try to minimize my wheat consumption (I find it to be typical in our culture to build the diet around "grains," rather than using organic meats and veggies as the focus). After eating the "carbs" all day to get me through training, I really crave unprocessed, simple dinners that are satisfying and help fill the veggie-quota for the day.

This site is FULL of really tasty looking recipes. Don't be scared by the "gluten-free" label because there are plenty of wheat-alternatives in most recipes (corn tortillas, rice, quinoa, squash).

I am hoping to try to re-create Jordan's chicken enchiladas tonight, made with butternut squash. I don't think I can divulge his secrets but there is a pumpkin chicken enchilada recipe on this website that looks mighty tasty too. 

1 comment:

cts said...

hey Lauren, I follow S.Whitfield's blog and so every once and a while catch an update about you and how your training/life is going I guess. Well, this has nothing to do with the last post, but that one you wrote about the migraines you were getting from your stem being 4cm too high or something like that, I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. Just bought a new TT and after my second ride, I could sleep at all because of a splitting headache. So, all thanks to reading your blog last week or whenever it was, I knew to head straight in and flip my stem (it was actually too short for me) and put an easy hour in the saddle today and it made a world of difference. Just wanted to say thanks!