Friday, June 25, 2010

In a rut

I have to admit that I am almost over being injured. I don't exactly mean this in an "I'm almost healthy" kind of way, but more that I am just tired of being injured in general. When asked what I like the most about sport, my answer is always "competing." The day-in and day-out routine of training in relatively enjoyable and hard work, but it's not what I LOVE to do. I love race, to see how good I can get, and the challenge of finding new ways to improve. I guess what I'm getting at is that I am in a training/injury rut right now - big time.

I used to look forward to "OYO" sessions like an easy jog or flush spin on the bike because it would give me a chance to clear my head and set my own pace. But, now that every aspect of my training and rehab is OYO, I am craving some social interaction... and competition (hence egging Adam into a race up the mountain last week). My training consists of trainer workouts in the basement, elliptical workouts and strength work at the gym, hiking, and now pool running and kick sets. Lonely stuff! Thankfully I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and in just two weeks time I will be on a plane to join my new coach and squad in the Swiss mountains.

I've also recently had a few bouts of paranoia regarding my new piece of hardware. "Adam, I think a screw is loose!!" His response, "Umm, I'm no doctor but you have a piece of steel and 7 screws in your bone. If a screw was actually loose you wouldn't think it, you would know it." Probably true... I've definitely been more nervous and tentative with the fracture this time around, but I guess that's to be expected after the 6-month non-union ordeal. I almost wish I had doctors orders to wear a sling and sit my butt on the couch for two months because I know that would guarantee a good union. But, because I don't want a frozen shoulder I have to work on range of motion and trust that my body is healing with the help of the plate.

I'm now three and a half weeks post-surgery and I have to say that I am very happy the burning nerve pain is disappearing. The stinging sensation over the first few weeks, centered around the incision was very intense. I can only describe it as feeling as though the steel plate was one million degrees hot and sizzling my skin. And no, I am not being dramatic here! I couldn't have ANYTHING touch the incision once the bandage was off. It was cold and rainy out, but I was wearing scoop neck shirts and tank tops 24/7, or walking with one hand pulling the jacket away from my shoulder. Windows had to be closed in the car and even a drop of sweat would sting like crazy. Thankfully that has settled (and the weather has warmed so scoop-necks are in-season). The swim suit strap is a whole other matter though and if I had more guts, I'd be sporting a strapless suit to the pool.

I also have to mention that I take back any "sissy" thoughts I had towards the elliptical machine in the gym. I used to think of it as a "princess" running (floating) machine where you pretend to work out while reading gossip mags and socializing. Ok, that's a little harsh, but I definitely never thought of it as hard work. I am eating my words now. Two sessions on there this week and my heart rate was WAY up there, my legs were burning, and sweat was flying everywhere. Honestly, it was gross how much sweat came out of me and I had to apologize for some of it hitting the gossip magazine on the elliptical next to me. I guess like any activity out there, if you want to, you can always find a way to make it hurt!

No comments: